The best place for a smoke alarm
It’s impossible to predict where a fire could occur in your home. That’s why it’s important to fit a smoke alarm at several locations within your home / office. Using the following checklist, you can determine what locations are the most effective for having a smoke alarm fitted within your home:
- As smoke rises, please ensure you fit the smoke alarm in a high place, such as on the ceiling. A good position is at least 50 cm / 20 in from the wall. With an open ridge, it is advisable to fit the smoke alarm at least 90 cm / 35,5 in (measured horizontally) lower.
- Find a place that is accessible to you. Please ensure you maintain the smoke alarm properly by regularly cleaning it and carrying out the necessary tests for it to work optimally.
- Please ensure you have a smoke alarm on each floor. This way, you are assured of a quick alarm when every second counts.
- Does the building have a long corridor? Then please ensure a smoke alarm is fitted every 7,5 m / 25 ft.
- It is wise to use a smoke alarm near a geyser or boiler that also perceives carbon monoxide.
Places smoke alarms should not be fitted
- In the bathroom or kitchen, as a lot of steam is released when showering or cooking. If there is no alternative, please fit a heat alarm instead, which only sounds the alarm at a temperature of 60°C / 140°F or higher.
- In the garage, as your vehicle’s emissions may activate the smoke alarm. Again, a heat alarm would be preferred here.
- Near electrical equipment, as electrical impulses can cause malfunctions.
Looking for EN14604:2005/AC:2008 certified smoke alarms? Then please, click her.
Looking for EN50291-1:2010+A1:2012 certified carbon monoxide alarms? Then please click her.